More than 60% of the water used at our facilities is recycled and reclaimed water.
Hilmar Cheese Company operates technologically advanced water reclamation facilities in California and Texas. Nearly all of the water we use at the Hilmar and Dalhart manufacturing sites is recycled and then converted into clean irrigation water used by local farmers. Our alternative energy solutions include biogas and solar.
Anaerobic digester tanks where process water organics are converted to biogas.
Water Treatment Ponds
Fully treated process water holding ponds to be used for local irrigation.
Solar provides 20% of the energy for our LEED® (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Platinum Headquarters and Innovation Center.
Inspiring Young Minds
- Visitor Center Tour Programs hosting thousands of students each year.
- Scholarship Program for local students
- Youth Organizations such as 4-H, FFA, Scouts, youth activities and sports and community libraries
- Colleges and University partnerships with dairy processing programs
Improving Community Resources
- Annual Food Drives with company match to encourage participation and help our local food banks
- Support for those in need including Rescue Missions, Salvation Army, Clothes for Kids and more
- American Cancer Society’s Relay for Life Employee teams in Hilmar and Dalhart receive matching funds to walk and raise funds for cancer research.
- Community hospital and hospice support
- American Red Cross and International Red Cross
- Walk to Defeat ALS (Amyotrophic Laterial Sclerosis, or Lou Gehrig’s Disease)
Dedication to the Arts
- Theatre support to bring nationally acclaimed theatrical works to our community
- Modesto Symphony Sponsor
- Local Theater, Arts & Music Programs for schools, community productions, bands and more
The families who own Hilmar Cheese Company truly care about employees. Company sponsored activities and events, life-coaches, wellness programs, and educational opportunities make this a great place to work.
Employees are provided company training along with the opportunity to continue their education at colleges and universities through a tuition reimbursement program.
Department safety teams provide leadership opportunities for employees at every level.
Hilmar Cheese Company is a significant provider of local jobs and contributor to regional tax bases. We improve lives around the world by being a leading producer of wholesome dairy products.
We provide thousands of local jobs between our headquarters and manufacturing plants in Hilmar CA, Turlock CA, and Dalhart TX.
Wholesome Dairy Products
Hilmar Cheese Company and our business unit, Hilmar Ingredients, provide wholesome dairy products for more than 50 countries.
On the Dairy Farm
Hilmar Cheese Company, Inc. believes that sustainability is a daily commitment to caring for people, our communities and our natural resources – while never forgetting the importance of providing affordable, nutritious dairy foods for consumers around the world. We share this belief with the dairy farm families who supply us and they understand it includes the responsibility of appropriate dairy animal care and farm land management.
100% of the dairy farm families directly shipping their milk to Hilmar Cheese Company participate in the National Dairy FARM Program. Farmers Assuring Responsible Management, or FARM, includes comprehensive dairy cattle best care practices for nutrition, health, housing and more. Developed by animal scientists and veterinarians, FARM includes evaluation of each individual dairy to assess compliance with practices for proper animal care, comfort and well-being practices. The program also includes independent third-party verification.